Monday 14 April 2008

Children's games


I had fun creating this layout about the games I played when I was a child. Children nowadays lose out because they're kept indoors all day and get driven to school. Why I do not know: the number of child murders and abductions has more or less stayed the same since the 60's. Paedophilia is more openly discussed and known about, whereas a few years ago paedeophiles stalked children from the innocent offices of cubs, brownies, the church and so on.

When I was a kid we went out all day to play. We only came back at tea-time. And what fun we had. Going to the fields behind our houses picking bluebells. Creating a den in the undergrowth at Harewood House and looking for murders in the Spy Club. Picking blackberries or beech nuts. Creating a play, usually "the ghost in the noon day sun", with the theatre's "curtains" suspended from the clothes line in the garden. Driving up and down in Henry, the formidable go-kart my dad built for me. And having fights with the kids from "the enemy end" at the bottom of the road. Oh, and skipping. Long hours spent skipping. Must have been wonderfully fit.

Supplies: pp - BasicGrey Two Scoops; Stampington. Wings rub-on: Hambly; letters - Papermania; chipboard arrow: Stampin' Up; kitten - Lakeland.

4 comments:

barmyowlscoo said...

Love the LO it captures the freeness that childhood used to be.

The Dolphin Inn said...

Cute and fun page Gail, love all the different elements you have used here XXX

Inspiration Alley said...

Your childhood seems remarkably similar to mine and I feel really sorry that children today miss out on developing independence and self-sufficiency in the way we did. The layout is extremely beautiful and I love the freeness of it.

mandijane said...

I remember my rule was to be home before the street lights came on at the weekends....and I daren't give cheek to anyone cause everyone knew my mum and dad and they'd give me a clip around the ear'ole and drag me home to my mum for suitable punishment.....
My dad used to have 'the look'....he never punished us....just gave us 'the look' that could reduce me to tears in an instant....
I loved my childhood...the dens, following my big sister around everywhere and annoying her...playing tick and hide and seek for hours.....
My kids don't have the same sense of belonging in our neighbourhood...it's really sad