Sunday 2 September 2007

The fun of the challenge


I do enjoy doing the weekly challenges on UK Scrappers. It's easy to fall into a comfort zone of doing scrapbook pages in your own particular style and with your favourite types of stash. With the challenge, you often have to consider using stash you wouldn't normally try.

Last week's challenge was a good example because the demands were quite varied: a Beatles song title, white paint, feathers, gold or silver, and a picture of "little devils."

I used an old photo of William my nephew in my mum's garden. I used white acrylic paint over a stencil that was free in Scrapbook Inspirations, and gold leaf that I've been saving for a 50th wedding anniversary card (still plenty left). It's very fragile and quite difficult to glue down. I found a feather in a fun tub which I bought in the pound shop, and it was useful to hide a hideous garden chair in the photo (saved me cropping it!). The Beatles song was supposed to be Little Child, but somehow in creating the title, I forgot what it was called and it became Small Child!

One thing I have done, which is a bit of a comfort zone thing, is used plain Bazzill cardstock. I'm forever buying patterned papers because I love the designs, but I'm always a bit nervous about using them unless I make the photos black and white.

No comments: