Monday 10 September 2007

Going Wild



In Sainsburys on Saturday, and looking for an unusual stash opportunity, I found some Reeves oil pastels for only £1.24. Too good to resist, I bought them and decided to have a bit of a play with them when I got home.

I've never seen anyone use these crayons in the magazines I buy. Excited that I could be onto a first, I used a couple of the pink shades to colour the background of a hammered white card. The hammered effect made for an interesting result. I found some butterfly patterned paper, free in a magazine, and stuck a piece of that on top. I should say here that I first stamped some butterflies onto the plain card with Versamark and hoped that when I crayoned, I would see the resist technique emerging. But, perhaps because I didn't emboss the images, the crayon camouflaged them completely.

I found some butterfly die cuts and stuck them on, then went over the colours with Sakura Gelly Roll pens; added some little butterfly embellishments, which were free with Papercraft Inspirations, and stamped a large butterfly (free with Crafts Beautiful some months ago) using Adirondack Blackcurrant, and embossed it with silver powder. I re-stamped the butterfly in silver onto acetate, and cut out the shape to mount it on top of the Blackcurrant butterfly. You can bend the wings up to give a 3D effect.

For the lettering I used some gorgeous K&Co pink flock letters to give some texture, and because the letters were too large for the space, I substituted some Martha Stewart glittery letters which were slightly smaller!

I wasn't too impressed with the crayons - they're quite heavy and waxy and not very easy to blend. Probably better on smooth card.

No comments: