Tuesday 11 September 2007

Cards on my mind


At this time of year my spare time is devoted to card making, big time! I have several birthdays in October and this year they include a 50th and a 40th, plus John's, one of my brothers and my nephew: plus I have a golden wedding anniversary card to make for Dec.

Last year was my first Christmas as a cardmaker and I was determined to make a card for virtually everyone. This year, I'm only going to make a few cards for people close to me. The reason is two-fold. Now I scrapbook as well, so I have less time; and secondly, I'm unfortunately not the sort who can knock up a quick card and replicate it for everyone. Each card is a bit of a labour of love and takes time.

I've only made one so far this year, the one you can see here, and it took at least two hours. I'm not all that happy with it - the scale is wrong, the card blank needs to be smaller. Also it needs more layering. I used a stamp by Elusive Images, stamped it three times on watercolour paper and then coloured it with Twinkling H2Os, Marvy Le Plume and Sakura Gelly Roll pens. I layered some of it, the cat and presents, but it isn't 3D enough. The red background was red paper with gold swirls stamped and embossed. I used Art Impressions' Serpentine stamp, one of my favourite background stamps. I will make this card again but using the lessons learned. It's for my mum.

I love it when magazines fire me with enthusiasm. There was a fantastic card ideal for the golden wedding in one of the recent magazines. On Sunday I ordered some goodies from a site I've never used before, That's Crafty. The stash arrived today so well pleased with a one-day turnaround. I ordered some gold UTEE, which I've never used before,a key ingredient in the golden anniversary card. I also ordered self adhesive vellum in pastel colours (removes the worry about adhesives showing.

Another card that I instantly fell in love with was in October's Craft Stamper. It's perfect for my mother's birthday next June. It uses an Elusive Images stamp, rose script, which again I received from That's Crafty.

1 comment:

mum-on-the-run said...

Aww, very cute card!! Totally understand on the Christmas card front, I'm in exactly the same boat!!